IMS
English English
Online Courses
search loading...

IMS
Veterinary Medicine
Psychology
General & Dental Medicine
Online Prep Course
Fees & Deadlines Contact Us
Full Name
Country
Email
Phone
Content
Interested in
Please Wait...
Apply Now

Medical University of Silesia

General Information

The Medical University of Silesia consists of five schools: School of Medicine in Katowice (the one that offers education in English language), School of Medicine with the Division of Dentistry in Zabrze, School of Health Care, School of Public Health, and School of Pharmacy with Division of Medical Analytics in Sosnowiec. The university is governed by the Rector who together with his Deputies and Administration Director constitutes the Rector`s Council.

The Senate is the body managing the whole university. Each school is governed by the Dean, who together with his Deputies and the Head of the Dean`s Office constitutes the Dean`s Council. The Program in English language is coordinated by the Vice-Dean for the English Language Program. Chairs and departments are basic units of each school. Each department is managed by the Chairman of the Department. Clinical education programs are carried out in the university hospitals and affiliated institutions. An important part of the university is constituted by the Library with the computer center. There  is  also a  well  organized  social  and  sport  infrastructure.

History

The Medical University of Silesia is the largest medical school in Poland. It has been established on the 20th of March 1948. At first it was given the name Medical Academy and was  placed in Rokitnica Bytomska. The name Medical University of Silesia was given in 1949. The lectures for the 135 newly admitted students of medicine and 96 students of dentistry had begun in October 1948. The first Celebration  of the academic year  took place on the 20th of November  1948. The first Rector of the school was Professor Nowakowski, a famous specialist in hygiene. Gradually, the school was extending and the number of students grew up. In 1950, for example,  there were already 1121 students, while  in 1955 - 2610. The Rector`s position was held  by  Professor Stefan Slopek, Professor Marian Garlicki, Professor Witold Zahorski and Professor Witold Niepołomski, in turn. Between 1953-1954 the first graduates obtained diplomas as physicians  and  dentists.

Accreditation

The Medical University of Silesia in Katowice holds an accreditation of the State Accreditation Commission upon which it is authorized to provide education in the fields of medicine, pharmacy, medical analytics, public health, nursing and midwifery. Also, the university holds a certificate of the US Department of Education, upon which it is authorized to provide instruction in English.

Information received from the The Medical University of Silesia website.

Apply Now


Facebook Facebook
Twitter Twitter

© IMS :: International Medicine Studies   Site Map | About IMS |  Contact Us